DK: First off, could you give us a bit of background to your career so far (such as clubs played for, overall major achievements)?
DG: As a 15 year old lad was just playing local league football until was signed by Camb city (jez George) Jez then moved to Camb united where I was then invited for a trial, trial was a success and signed a short term deal which took me to 16 and up to the point in which u either get a 3 yr scholarship, at 16 signed a 3 yr scholarship with united and made my Prob debut at 17 under John Taylor! Went in to play around 200 times for United in 2 spells reaching play off final on 2 occasions. In between my 2 spells I had 1 year at notts county making around 20/25 apps before returning to United on loan before signing again permanently. After 2 more years at United I signed for Luton for 2 years again losing 2 play off finals! During my time at united i was selected for the England C team making 7 apps and travelling to away games in Barbados,Grenada and Italy were def some major highlights.after a difficult last season at Luton with major back injury my full time career came to an end.then went on to play for Lowestoft town and captained them to play off success and gain promotion to conf north,then had brief spells locally with Camb city, Histon.
DK: If you could pick 3 highlights from your career so far which would you pick and why?
RG: Making my debut at 17 is something I will never forget as a kid I had always dreamt of playing professional football and had received many knock backs as lots do,”he won’t make it” just 1 comment that’s stuck with me forever!!” (He did make it) to do it for my boyhood club was very special.
Although we lost the play off final,again my 1st app at Wembley will always stick with me! Walking out at the National stadium in front of 40/50k was an unbelievable feeling.was not the outcome we wanted but again a to play there was a dream in itself.
And finally to represent my country albeit at non league level is something I’m very proud of played with some fantastic players and got to travel to some special places doing so
DK: Tell us a bit more about your time at Cambridge United, how did you find it & give us an overview to your time there?
DG: Loved my time at united met some great lads and imo my last 2 years there were my best playing day during a 10 yr career, my overriding feeling is that I left and didn’t Acheive what I would have loved,promotion back to the football league with the club that i supported from the age of 6 but at the same time im proud to say I wore the amber and black shirt and certainly wore it with great pride. I lived my dream and that’s something nobody can ever take from me.
DK: What was it like being involved in the playoff finals, describe the feeling?
DG: The play off games are something very special. Lots of pressure riding on a game or 2! My semi final experiences have been surreal all but 1 of the 4 I’ve been involved in we were behind after the 1st leg and the 2 2nd leg wins in a united shirt were phenomenal experiences to be apart of.last min extra time winner against Stevenage was something else! But to lose 4 years running in the final was heartbreaking! And from 1 to the next it didn’t get any easier, 40 odd games were you’ve given everything you had boils down to 1 game.. and in truth in none of those finals did we turn up. Why?? Pressure expectation who knows if I knew the answer I’d have cracked it after the 1st defeat! Grown men brought to tears over a game of football!! It’s more than a game and it always will be and u never really learn to deal with those losses! They hit home very hard!
DK: Tell us a bit about your time at Luton?
DG: Leaving Cambridge to join Luton was the toughest decision during my career! I was playing very well for United and as mentioned I’d say those were my best couple of years! I saw this as an opportunity I couldn’t turn down for many reasons, Luton is a huge football club with home crowds of over 10k week in week out and a travelling support in at the time non league of over 1500/2000 every week.i saw this club as a major chance for myself to get back into the football league and Lastly I simply can’t lie the money was amazing! A footballers career is short make of it what you can. My time at Luton as a player wasn’t great my 1st year I done ok but I was never the player I was at Cambridge to which frustrated me massively! Physically in my 1st year I felt great,never fitter but I just struggled to perform,We underachieved as a side,a side for me that should have walked the league with the players we had! We let the manager down which ultimately he paid the price for (a cruel game) my 2nd year was a right off,played a handful of games and my back problems gradually got the better of me.2 cordial epidurals and 1 op later we were 3/4 of the way through the season! I got back (semi fit) for the run in but my time at Luton was up! Looking back did I make the right choice!? For me yes I would hate to have looked back at though what could have been,what did I miss out on, I do often sit back and think had I stayed at united would my career have been prolonged did I pay the price with injuries due to my daily travel! But all that said I have no regrets with the choice I made and am grateful for the career I had.
DK: What was it like to play for England's C team, must of been a big achievement - give us a bit on insight to it?
DG: Playing for the England c team was great,the set up and professionalism was 2nd to none.picked up from your home address in a private car and taken to Airports,1st class travel,stayed in amazing hotels in beautiful places all over the world and most importantly got to wear the 3 lions,we played Finland,Barbados,Grenada all away and these experiences were phenomenal, presentations after each game with your cap,staff on hand to provide your every need,literally treat like royalty to meet and play with some very special players many of whom plied there trade in the premier league and again something I am very proud of. Also played Italy away from home!
DK: How did you find your time at Lowestoft, tell us a bit about it?
DG: My time at Lowestoft was a mixed 1! For 2 years it was great,captained the side to promotion to and the clubs highest ever league position in the conf north.the manager Craig Fleming then left for the premier league and I was left in joint charge of the 1st team with Ady Gallagher and mick Chapman.we kept the side in the conf north which was a great feat! Then following season was bizarre! Myself and Ady left in charge and things turned sour! Guessing we never really saw eye to eye but it was me that received a call to say I was not wanted at the club! A bizarre call to say the least! Told to not attend training,or matches and find a new club! All completely out of the blue and to this day not explained! A tad disrespectful I felt after what I had given the club in a 2/3 year spell. A disappointing end to my time there but that said a fantastic club.
DK: What was it like to be part of their promotion and the clubs most successful period?
DG: We had a great side and just missed out on promotion the previous year in the play off final to concord,but the following season we made up for it and gave the fans and club some of it not their best days. It was great to be part of particularly after so much play off heartache on a personal note.i loved my time there but was very disappointed in the way that it ended.
DK: What's the best ground you've played at and why?
DG: Would have to be Wembley although the ettihad was very special.the pitch at the ettihad was ridiculous! 👌
DK: Who's the best player you've played alongside and why?
DG: Played with lots that have gone onto bigger things but George pilkington at Luton was exceptional. He played centre half and not the tallest of men but he made the game look so easy. Never complicated anything done the simple things well and don’t remember him ever putting a foot wrong.
DK: Who's the best player you've played against and why?
DG: During my time at Cambridge we played Boston and Gazza was player manager!! Not the player he had been but a legend all the same! And the same for Luton when we played Parma in a pre season friendly and Hernan crespo was the skipper!! Was very surreal to play against the Argentine legend. As a young yts for United we played Celtic in a tournament and aiden McGeady tore me apart!! He was on another level.these are just 3 of many that I was lucky enough to share a pitch with.
DK: If you could pick a team of the best players you've played alongside who would you pick and why?
DG: Gk- John Ruddy, England’s international days all you need to know.
RB-Keith Keane (Luton) only played in this position a handful of times when we were at Luton but solid performer.
CB- George Pilkington. Just outstanding all round.
CB-Micheal Morrison, still playing week in week out in the championship and has had a great career.
LB- Dean Moxy, played alongside him for England c team and he went on to play premier league football.
RW-Claude Knakpa, we had a bit of a love hate relationship but on his day was unplayable!
CM- Rob wooleaston, product of Chelsea youth team and for me he should have played much higher and unreal talent and a great lad.
CM-Andy drury- got himself a much deserved move To Ipswich from Luton and technically scAry how good he was.
LM-Jake Howells- very technically gifted and could win a game on his own.
CF-Andre Gray- a raw talent when he joined Luton but some talent he was.
CF-Scott Rendall, a proper goalscorer and if for nothing more then just “that goal against Stevenage”
No comments:
Post a Comment