Sunday, 14 June 2020

INTERVIEW: Charlie Turner

Brightlingsea Regent goalkeeper Charlie Turner discusses his career so far - from Braintree Town's Academy, onto Haverhill Borough, Haverhill Rovers, Hedingham, Stansted and now Regent. 

DK: To start off, can you give us a bit of background to your career so far (clubs played for, noteable achievements etc)?

CT: I was at Braintree Town Academy from 16-18, that was a good experience. Haverhill Borough were the first club to give me my break in to senior football. Ben Cowling was the manager there, played for Borough for 2 years, then Ben took the Haverhill Rovers job, he took me across with him. I then had 2 seasons with Rovers in the Thurlow Prem. unfortunately Ben left half way through the 2017/18 season, I then picked up a bit of an injury and fell out of the fold really. My attitude probably wasn’t great back then, in the April of 2018 I almost packed up football altogether, I ended up playing centre half for Hedingham with some of my mates etc and said I won’t go back to being a GK, didn’t really enjoy it. Luckily Mark Bentermen phoned me and said he wanted me to go to Stansted with him and Pitzy (Paul pittuck) that was my last real crack at it to be fair.  I then met Kezza (Kyri Neoclous) who was the GK coach there at the time and he really gave me that buzz back for being a keeper, had me working hard and made me a more complete GK really. I loved every single minute at Stansted. That happened at the right time, gave me a completely new look on football. very good bunch of boys there who cared about their football but also enjoyed a beer or two as well. My most noticeable achievement was winning the ESL player of the season for the 2018/19 year (not bad for a GK as well) 😂 I then had Tom Rothery & John Albon get in touch from Brightlingsea and that was a massive opportunity for me really. I always believed in myself and when I had the chance to play at Step 3 that made me realise I could really make a good career out of football. John Albon has been very good with me. Believed in me from minute 1, had a ropey pre season but as soon as the season kicked off I really pushed on, it was a tough season at Brightlingsea but it’s a great club, the people at the club appreciate and understand what level the club is playing at. Although it was tough, I loved it, I personally had a very good season, playing well consistently. Im now looking forward to having  a second season at Brightlingsea, we know it’s going to be very tough at times but the gaffa will make sure we’re hard to beat, and make sure we improve our home form definitely. When I do reflect I am proud of where I am playing at now, and proud of my personal performance this season just gone, but at the same time I’m hungry for more. I want to keep kicking on.

DK: Do you mind if I ask what made you originally want to be a goalkeeper & what you think it's like to be a shot-stopper?

CT: I had an older cousin who I would go a play football with, him and his mates would always stick me in goal and it went from there really. I have been a GK ever since I started playing at 6/7 years old really. Like all GK’s I had a little spell where I fancied myself on pitch. I started playing for my first team it meant I’d play the full game so I was happy back then!

DK: What was it like playing for Braintree's academy, how did you find it?

CT: It was good- enjoyed it, training every day and messing about with the boys every day! I got to train with the first team twice, when Alan Devonshire was the manager. Nathan McDonald was the first team GK at the time, he was England C goalkeeper at the time, he trained us a lot, it was a proud moment when I played against him this year at Enfield. He’s always been good to me. When I had time to reflect it showed how far I had come, Nath was training me as a 16 year old and I was now playing against him. We beat Enfield in the cup this year, he came up for a corner last minute and almost scored a header but I saved it, we had a good laugh afterwards. He was a non-league GK who has had and is still having a very good non league career.

DK: What was the highlight during your time at Braintree?

CT: The highlight was probably cementing the no.1 shirt for the academy. At the start there was 4 GKs all fighting for one spot. And as soon as you get your chance you have to take it and keep it.

DK: How did your time with Braintree Academy come about? 

DK: So I was the very first intake at Braintee, so my year was the very first year it started. Me and one of my good mates from school went for trials and it got accepted and we went from there. If I’m being honest I think everyone who went for a trial got accepted ... 😂 it was a alternative to go to college/sixth form. I personally didn’t want to study 4 A levels that I wasn’t interested in. It started my journey in to non league football.

DK: How did you find your time at Haverhill Borough? 

CT: Really enjoyable. It was my first real step in to senior football and made me realise how much effort goes on behind the scenes to keep a non-league club alive. Some very good people involved at the club, a time I look back on with pride and good memories, I also won my first trophy with borough, beating stowmarket in the First Division KO cup, 5-0. It was a Friday night at mildenhalls ground, a brilliant night.

DK: How did you find your time at Haverhill Rovers and how do the two clubs compare?

CT: Rovers was more difficult than borough, there was more pressure to achieve certain things. As there was a bit of a budget that brings a bit more pressure to perform etc. The facilities up at the New Croft are wonderful and built for step 4 football. It is difficult having 2 very good clubs in one town. I don’t really know the politics or the Ins & Outs of what’s involved with both clubs. But one way or another it’d be good to see the Town of Haverhill have a football club at step 4 and above one day. Equally I haven’t been involved with either club for a few years now so don’t know the current situation. All I know is there are very good people behind the scenes and a very good core of local players who could take the town forward. 

DK: What was the highlight from your time at Rovers? 

CT: It’s a difficult one really as there wasn’t any silverware or anything like that, both seasons we were mid to low table as well so it was a challenge at times. I’d probably say my personal highlight was cementing the no.1 shirt, particularly in my first season. I was still fairly young and was playing week in week out for a good step 5 club. My very first game for the club was when the season started in July, I think it was 31st July, a Tuesday night at home to Stanway. A few people were backing them to win the league etc and we beat them first game of the season, 2-1 I think it was. There was a good crowd up the new croft that night and it was a very good night, might sound daft to pick out a game like that but the buzz with it being the first game of the season, night game, at home. It made for a really good night.

DK: How did you find your time at Hedingham & what was it like playing Centre Back?

CT: That was literally a handful of games to be honest, just playing with my mates, messing about more than anything. And I loved it as well. I would still be doing that now to be honest, if it wasn’t for my good friend Jordan Palmer I’d still be doing that now, and still be loving it as well. He said to me I needed to give it another crack and play as high as I could, as I’d regret it when I’m older, which is very true. Can always go back to playing with mates, I’m grateful now to have played this season at Brightlingsea at a very good level, and looking forward to next season as well. Looking forward to going to places like Margate, Worthing, Bognor etc. These are all big non league clubs, with a good fan base. As always we’ll go down to these places and see what we can get. Brightlingsea thrive off being the underdog, as do I.

CT: Just elaborating on that previous point, in the summer of 2018, Is what only Stansted who were really interested in me. It was 50/50 at the time, I wasn’t really too bothered, like I said before I was willing to pack it in, especially being a GK. The fact my mate Palmer signed we travelled together and I’ve never really looked back. Loved every single minute at Stansted, gave me that buzz and gave me the chance to play in a good solid team. And then less than a year later brightlingsea came calling.i have personally come a long way in a short period of time. I look at it and feel proud and lucky to have been able to play at a good level and get paid to play football. But like I said I am now more hungry than ever to succeed.

The best advice I could give any young GK’s wondering how to make the first steps in to non-league would be try and play men’s football from as young as possible, the level you play at doesn’t really matter just play a full season, find a manager willing to back you as a 17/18year old, whatever it may be. The earlier you play senior football, the quicker you’ll adapt to the physical side. But first and foremost remember why we all do it, and that’s enjoyment. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself - push yourself definitely, and try and play as high as you can, but definitely enjoy it. “Love the game and the game will love you back” 😂 

DK: You've touched on it a little bit but how did you find your time at Stansted?  

CT: My time at Stansted was amazing. Bents & Pitzy worked well together there. They put together a really strong and experienced team. Like all non league clubs there’s some good people behind the scenes as well. We always stayed after training and had a few beers in the clubhouse (Palmer was always the driver as he didn’t drink) and had a real team spirit that is sometimes rare. It was playing for Stansted where I really started to believe in myself and think I could push on up the ladder. We came so close to winning the title, took it down to the final day but hullbridge deservedly won it and got promoted. We won 2 cups, didn’t concede a single goal in both cup competitions. Which totalled over 10/12 games I believe. The two cup final days are days that you’ll remember forever, all the families are there and it’s such a good day all round. There’s so many individuals who I owe an awful lot to.

DI: Tell us a bit more about the cup wins, what we're those like to be involved in, not to mention keeping a clean sheet throughout!  

CT: We won both cup finals 1-0, which probably made it sweeter. We had an ability to grind out results at times.  We had a very experienced squad as well. To have the family there and my little nephew there was brilliant. He has the winners medals I think. Cup final days are one of the reasons we all do it. I’ve been fortunate to have played in 3 cup finals and won all 3. The whole day and weekend is just brilliant really. I’ve never been a very good loser, anyone who knows me will agree with that as well.

DK: How have you found your time with Regent so far? 

CT: My time at regent so far has been very good, i am very grateful to Tom Rothery and John Albon for giving me the opportunity. As mentioned previously having that 1to1 relationship with John (GK coach) is massive, he has helped me massively. I feel fortunate to be able to represent the club. Everyone around the area knows what a great club it is, and everyone involved in the club understands where the club is in terms of the footballing pyramid. Everyone is proud of their club. There’s a handful of players that have taken the club to where it is today. That is what is unique about the club. When I joined the club last year I was very lucky to get on with the senior players at the club really well, the fact I was playing well helped I think, the likes of JT & crippo helped massively. In recent weeks those senior players have sadly moved on to new challenges. They should all be proud of where the club sits today. Now it’s time for everyone at the club to pull together. It’s been a tough year as a whole for the club, I believed we would have stayed up if the season hadn’t been cut short, but with the decision from the FA to expunge the league it has giving the gaffer a chance to now build a squad and get a full pre-season in (whenever that might be). We all know it’s going to be a tough old season at times, that’s the nature of the beast. But I personally can’t wait to get started again when it is safe to do so! I feel more confident and a better GK than what I was a year ago, I feel like I belong at step 3 now. One thing that has been highlighted is the commitment levels that are required, some of the trips we have on a Tuesday night are mad, Bognor, Folkestone etc. We have to take days off work some days to travel down to places like Bognor on a Tuesday night, to then get back at 3 in the morning and get up for work the next day. We all know what we’re signing up for so there’s no complaints but it does highlight the commitment required by all concerned. I love mid week away games though! Some of the away games you have 200/300 fans behind the goal, calling you every name under the sun for 90minutes. I love all that, I thrive off that. People paying £10 to call you a fat ******* for 90minutes, there’s no bigger compliment than that 👍🏻😂.

DK: What's been the highlight during your time at Regent so far? 

CT: My highlight with regent would be Margate away, first game of the season. It was my first game for the club and playing at this level, everything about the day was great, we had a coach down there, turning up at the ground, there was a good crowd that day. Just had a real good feel about it. We all played really well that day and ground out a 0-0, Margate were very good. The journey home was great, getting to know everyone involved with the club, that was the day I look back on and really felt part of the club. After that game I felt part of it and felt like I could kick on from then, which I did. Another game that sticks out is Lewes away back in February, we got heavily beat at bowers on the Tuesday beforehand, everything went wrong that night, we had a good meeting on the Thursday at training, a few things were said. We then went down to Lewes and won 1-0, we were comfortable all game as well. That was a massive result as lewes were fighting down near the bottom with us. Only football could make you feel that low on the Tuesday to then pick you back up again on the Saturday.

DK: Who's the best player you've played alongside so far and why? 

CT: I’ve been fortunate to play alongside some very good players. A few certainly come to mind. But basing it solely on games I have been involved in, I would go for Matt Cripps. Our captain at Brightlingsea last season. He was solid. I like to play behind centre-halfs I trust. Not only could he defend and do the ugly side of the game, but he could play as well. He was different class. He unfortunately broke his leg back in January playing against Worthing. I know he will come back from that stronger and better than before, he is mentally very strong.

DK: Who's the best player you've played against and why?  

CT: I’d probably go for Joe Taylor this season. I think that’s his name. He plays for Cray. The most effective no.9 I’ve played against. He scored both games against us this year. I believe he was the current top scorer in the league. He can obviously score goals. But his all round play is everything you want from a no.9, I reckon he earns a few quid through football put it that way.

Carl Rushworth will also be up there. He was the GK for Worthing this year, on loan from Brighton, I think he’s only 19. He is unbelievable, has everything for a modern day GK. I have no doubt he will go right to the very top.

DK: If you could name a 5 aside team of the all time best players you played alongside who would you pick and why? 

CT: My 5 a side would look like this : GK- me, I’d have to get involved! I’d then have Crippo & Sam West at the back. I played with westy at Stansted, he was solid. I’d then have JT pulling the strings in midfield, I probably didn’t see the best of JT this year at Brightlingsea, but on his day he’s a player. I’d then have Callum Ibe being a little nuisance up top. Very good feet and he would make a great little 5a-side player, even though he’d be moaning every 5minutes... 😂

DK: If you had to pick the best save you've made yesterday which one would you pick and why?

CT: 1) save away at saffron Walden, when playing for Stansted. The score was 3-3 at that point and we went on to win 5-3. Was a great game and great day that day, I think it was 1st v 3rd at the time. 2) was a save I made this year against Cray, again it’s nothing special really but at the time it felt pretty good. (check videos)

DK: What targets do you have looking forward?

CT: It’s going to be strange when the season does start up again. No one really knows when that might be, but whenever it is it would’ve been a long break without football, so the target will have to be nice and simple. Get a good pre-season under our belts, then start the season well and remain consistent. Like I said previously we know how hard it’s going to be at times this coming season. But we need to work on our home form, we know that, I will always back us to pick up points on the road throughout the season. But staying on track, the main target will be to have another consistent season personally, and then as a club make sure we do all we can to stay clear from the bottom 3. I will probably aim for 16-18 clean sheets, that was the target for this season just gone. Hard to really look any further ahead than the coming season.


No comments:

Post a Comment