Jake Dye 2020-21 Season So Far Interview
Over the weekend I spoke to Needham Market right-back Jake Dye, which we discussed the club's season so far including personal and team highlights of the season.
DK: First question, how to you summarise the season so far from a team perspective?
JD: It’s been a very successful one! We’ve come on leaps and bounds and seemed to be improving each game we played. Apart from the disappointing result in the FA cup I feel we’ve been very dominant, as the table shows! Everybody has bought into what we want to achieve, and I really hope we can finish what we have started!
DK: What's been the most pleasing part of the season so far?
JD: To be fair for me all of it! It’s been a really good atmosphere at the club and one I certainly have enjoyed playing and training in! winning the Premier cup and showing we are the best non league club in Suffolk has pleased me the most!
DK: From a team perspective, what's been the best team performance so far this season?
JD: That’s a hard one considering how impressive we have been, but Bromsgrove at home! Them being a big promotion favourite at the start of the season we knew, like every game, it was going to be tough! A 3-0 win and could have been more!
DK: What's been the standout moment so far this season?
JD: Beating our local rivals is always nice, and in the fashion we did made it even better. Again winning the premier cup, as well as making history with how far we went in the FA trophy!
DK: It must've made it even more special for you from a personal point of view as you scored in all three of those competitions, especially with one being the winning goal to make club history in the Trophy?
JD: Yes was definitely special and something I’ve was proud of doing! I knew the aspects of my game I needed to improve, I felt the fittest I’ve ever been coming back! Adding goals to my game and being as effective as possible going forward only helps the team!
DK: We've discussed the goals previously but which is your favourite you've scored so far?
JD: The Haverhill and Lowestoft goals were both special, being my first senior and my first league goal, but for me the leiston goal! The build up play for the goal was unbelievable and the occasion made it even better!
DK: Does the season so far match any targets you had prior to the season starting from either a team or personal point of view?
JD: I think so yes! As a team we knew the qualities we have in every area of the pitch, and the freedom we have to go and play! We never really looked too far ahead, instead concentrated on the next game and getting that job done before anything else! Personally I wanted to add goals/assists, more of a threat going forward and being as solid as possible defensively, I feel I added that to my game, but of course want to do even more, and keep improving! Consistency both personally and as a team, and i think we have had that so far!
DK: With the season being stop start at times, would you say being unbeaten in the league and the FA Trophy run makes it feel so much more rewarding?
JD: 100%, with the constant uncertainty makes it very rewarding! But with the characters and the players we have in the club we want even more! Being in such good form and the confidence we had going into each game, makes it equally frustrating that we haven’t had the chance to carry it on!
DK: With the constant uncertainty, unfortunately it doesn't seem like we'll get to finish the full league season so how would you ideally like it to be resolved?
JD: It would obviously be a huge shame to lose the hard work we have put in, but the safety and welfare of everyone, whether players, officials or supporters has to come first. With a start date yet to be announced or even discussed, it’s impossible to complete the remaining 35 league game. So maybe a mini league, in our league to then allow promotions and relegations etc, all dependant on when we can get back to action.
DK: After how well the lads performed at Gloucester, I dare say it'd be a dream to get promoted to step two this season if possible.
JD: It was always going to be a difficult game but one the boys done very well in and proved we have the capabilities to mix it with the league above! Definitely an ambition of ours and one we hope we can carry out this season, if not in the near future!
DK: How's the injury you picked up against Leiston healing? Has the break from action helped it heal at all?
JD: Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as first feared. I managed to get in 4 or 5 physio/rehab sessions with Kim and Jenks before we entered tier 4, and reacted well to treatment. Managed to do some running over Christmas, so when football returns, hopefully soon, I should be fully fit and raring to go!

No comments:
Post a Comment