DK: Decent result tonight, what did you make of it?
KH: I think the positives are we get our first point of the season. I think as a collective we were coming into tonight's game and wanting more, which is the right way to go about it. So we come away a little bit disappointed. I'll always be honest, like I said in my last interview, I think last week we probably didn't deserve to win, tonight was probably the same. We just didn't quite do enough. We're not quite firing on all cylinders, which we know, so there's a little bit of tweaking to be done. It's been a disjointed Pre-Season, that's not an excuse, that's just reality and we've not quite hit the heights that we want to hit like, we hit last season. We'll get there, the lads will keep their heads up, we'll dust ourselves down and like I said to them 'you can be disappointed in that and analyse and look like we will be.' We'll train on Thursday and then there's another game right round the corner, Bromsgrove (Sporting) at home, another home fixture which is nice before we go on the road a few times, so the positives are it's a point on the board and it's something to build on.
It was a little bit of a bitty game I think, it probably wasn't good for the spectators or neutral, I suppose it wasn't a free flowing game of football and give them (St Ives) credit for that. They've travelled here, they've won their home game last week and come here on a Tuesday night and made it really difficult. They slowed things up, they played for free-kicks and got them, which I'd tilt my hat to them, do you know what I mean. That was playing the game the way they wanted to do it and they walk away here with a point. So we didn't take advantage as we should, albeit we obviously went in front with a fantastic goal and then you want to build on it and it's just so disappointing. I said to the lads at half-time 'you want to make this a fortress, you want to win games of course. Just go and do the ugly stuff, go and do the horrible stuff we'll and you'll win this game.' And we've got undone by one of our set-pieces, which was so disappointing because we've not been great at them. It's probably the best we've done on them this season and possibly last season, where we took our time, set it up. There was a few little errors where we moved in, ran back the one that steps over it where it was a little bit unfortunate. Could we have hit first time, it's just fell to them, one pump forward and their eleven who I thought was their best player of the night, with his pace, showed the composure and obviously scored. So it was really disappointing, I was disappointed in the way we conceded but another positive is they counter attacked quite a lot and they cheated when we had possession quite a lot, which is the one way they went and caused us problems. But we stood firm and didn't concede again and got a point, so that's a positive as well.
DK: And the team slowly gelling together had the return of Pagey added to it.
KH: Yeah, Pagey, we're obviously made up to have him back at the club. We all know what a wonderful footballer he is. And we are getting there, there are little tweaks made, there is lads that need a bit longer to settle in. So we're not quite there, but we will get there and obviously Pagey coming into the group will give us all a good lift, which you see in glimpses tonight. Obviously again he's coming back and will have to find his feet a little bit again, along with the new lads. We'll keep working hard, we'll trying to do the right things and hopefully we gel even more as a team sooner rather than later.
DK: And like you said the games come thick and fast so there's always opportunity to right any wrongs, in the next one.
KH: Yeah, yeah, I know expectations have gone up, we always want to win games, we want to be successful as a group. But I said, there's going to be blips. We've lost last week, we've only got a point tonight, which people will see as quite negative but I'm a big believer in keeping bongs positive, so a point to build on and I know what group I've got. I know they're going to work hard, and I'm sure when the penny does drop and it all falls into place we're going to be a force to be reckoned with like we were last season.
No comments:
Post a Comment