Reaction from Needham Market's 1-0 Emirates FA Cup win over St Ives Town.
DK: An excellent 1-0 win today, what did you make of it?
KH: Yeah, long overdue, I think I can safely say that. You know we've been up and down, I think last week tlwas probably the best we've played and we ended up coming away with a 2-0 defeat, which we obviously spoke about. I obviously didn't tell the lads, but for me today was a must win at all costs. By hook by crook, I didn't care really about the performance today, it was all about getting through to the next round - which we've done. So I'm made up for the lads, because they are a great group, they work hard, they're excellent players, top top players and we really haven't had the rewards that we've probably deserved in the league so far. So today was a big, big day for us, we weren't great. We've played much better, like I've said we've probably played much better last week. But the lads stuck to it, we scored and then we got a little bit nervy. I think everybody could see that, it's been a long time coming, they put their bodies on the line. We rode our luck at times, but I'm made up! To be through to the next round was what today was all about and on top of that to get a win, which will hopefully be a springboard for us to go on and put a run of games together where we're winning games, so I'll go home a happy manager today!
DK: The magic of the cup, deserved it (the win with a good all round performance)!
KH: I think so, we threw caution to the win a little bit, we went 2 up top today, which we've generally gone 4-3-3, so we went 4-4-2. Which at times maybe left us a little bit exposed, but we were brave enough to do that and it worked out alright in the end. We've won the game, I made a couple of little changes, little tweaks. Obviously Jake Dye was really unfortunate to not be starting, because he's starting the season reasonably well, so that's what we're about, I've said to the lads we're all going to play our part over the course of the season, everybody's going to play a large number of games, so it is what is unfortunately it's football, but the pleasing thing for me on top of the result obviously was I thought the subs had impact today. Tariq came on and done really well, Jose came on and was a real threat and Tom, obviously the other sub I've put on, listened to instructions - went on the left side and sured things up for us. Overall I'm really, really pleased.
DK: Yeah, yeah, brilliant! And hopefully as you say it'll be a springboard for another good unbeaten run hopefully!
KH: I'm hoping so, because like I've said and I've said it a number of times now, we haven't got what we've deserved out of the league campaign so far, so I'm hoping that'll give the lads a little bit of a boost, I sense they're a little bit low on confidence. I think you could sense it late on in the game, where we got a little bit nervy and a little bit wreckless at times. But we've got over the line and I've told them go and enjoy it, go and enjoy tonight, do you know what I mean? It's a big, big, moment for us in our season where we've got our first win. So hopefully that can be infectious and we can go on now and start putting a run of games together, which will obviously move us up the table and into contention and where we should be.
DK: And a poachers finish from Kyle has earned us that!
KH: Yeah, Kyle's been excellent! He's worked ever so hard, I've asked him to play a number of positions and we've spoke about it, Tom (Rothery) obviously does his homework on all games, but he's mentioned to the lads about if you get to that back post you'll get a tap in. It was a scruffy goal, it wasn't the prettiest goal that we'll score all season, but it was a massive one for us so I'm pleased for him and I'm kade up for the lads. Because like I've said they're a great bunch and I want them to do so well!
DK: And the main thing is we're in the hat Monday, any ideal scenarios?
KH: Not really, not really, like I said I was pleased with the draw today, albeit a team from our level and I know there's teams in or at a lower level in still in the competition, but I think we either want a lower level team or anyone at home really, so I'm not really fussed. No doubt it'll end up being Stowmarket, Sudbury or Leiston, no doubt, but hopefully at home! That's all I'm hoping for!
DK: Fingers crossed and before that, we've got the small matter of a trip to Banbury!
KH: To be fair it's a place that I've enjoyed going, it's always a good pitch, we've generally played quite well there, but not really got what we've (deserved), I think we drew the last time we was there. So it will be a decent pitch, they're a decent team, there's no getting away from that. I think they are in and around the playoffs at the minute, which is where they'll probably end up, so it'll be a good test for us. But we go with the added confidence of getting a result today so we don't go and play anyone in fear. We've got good players, we've got a good team, we've got a group that works hard and if we perform how we can then we can get the three points!
DK: And not only the players, but you can celebrate well tonight!
KH: No, not really, I'm driving up to Manchester to go and help my daughter out with her children tonight so I've got a long drive. So the win today has made that drive better, I think it's nearly (a) four hour drive, but it'll go a lot quicker now we're in the next round of the cup!
DK: Make sure you have some Haribos!
KH: I'm sick of Haribos! We've had too many of them, we have them on the bench, look I'm nit going to lie I got a little bit nervy towards the end, I want the lads to do so well and I'm eating sweet after sweet! Yeah, I don't know, I was dying for the second goal to make it a little bit more comfortable, but it wasn't to be. But credit to the lads, they stuck to it, they put their bodies on the line andxwe got over the line, so yeah. Four hour drive that'll be a lot easier now, but no Haribos for me mate!
KYLE HAMMOND | POST MATCH INTERVIEW V ST IVES TOWN | EMIRATES FA CUP 1ST QUALIFYING ROUND | 4.9.2021
DK: Congratulations on your first goal for the club, what did you make of it?
KH: Yeah it was good, you know took a chance really. I was obviously at the back post, Cal's (Callum Sturgess) had a shot and I've tapped it in really, that's about it. I think we needed a little scrappy goal and I think it was one of them, so yeah it was nice!
DK: Like you say, needed the win which we've deserved so far this season!
KH: Yeah, it's difficult to say really, I think we should've won every game really, but it hasn't happened like that and we haven't taken our chances. We've had loads of chances, we haven't taken them and today we haven't had loads of chances, but we've taken one and we haven't conceded a goal and that's going to win us games, so we've got to continue that now.
DK: The simple basics of it, clean sheet, win, into the next round!
KH: Exactly! That's the basics of football and I think today we done the basics really well and we've won the game, so that's what we've got to take into the next game - which is a tough game and we'll go there and hopefully get the win!
DK: Fingers crossed, and before that the draw Monday, you got any preferences?
KH: Not really, if anything I want a team who's going to be... I want the best teams around, so that's what we're about. That's what I want so anyone higher, we can go there and beat them or they can come here and we can give them a good game, that's about it really!
DK: I know it's early days so far, but how arecyou settling in at the club?
KH: I'm loving it, it's really good and obviously like I said to you I've played under Kev and I know what he's all about, I know a lot of the boys, settled in well with the new boys, who are all good boys. It's been a difficult, in terms of our start, because we haven't won a league game yet but we're all confident now that it's going to happen! And what we've got in the dressing room is good enough to get us up that table and we're going to get to our aims at the end of the season and I firmly believe that!
DK: And hopefully today's the starting point of that!
KH: Yeah, exactly! Today was really important to get a win, regardless of if we were in the FA Cup or if three points were on the line. I think we needed to win and the gaffer, Kev, didn't put any pressure on us, he just wanted us to go and play and play how we normally play and I think we did that in the end. Backs against the wall a little bit in the second half, but showed a different side of us, that I don't think we've shown as well this season!
No comments:
Post a Comment