Continuing our Meet The Ferals series, fittingly this week's features the first part of a group piece, including manager Adrian Crowe and 'originals' Fred Stewart-Hogg, George Crowe and Sam Waterson.
In this first part of our nice, long, Ferals chat we discuss how it's gone so far.
AC: In general, I think it's been an incredible journey, which I'm extremely proud to have been a part of and its great to have the three original members here still, who've played nearly a thousand games between them! Of you would've said to me 13 years ago that we'd still be playing football together as a group I would've said you were crazy, I would've never thought we would last 10 years! I can remember somebody saying "are you going to take them into men's," and I said "no, there's no way I'm going to do that, I hate them enough as it is."
AC: I think the boys will all agree, it's been an eventful 13 years, we've had 3 tours to Holland in that time, which the boys will say was a great experience for them at 12, 13 and 15. We had a weekend at Alton Towers which was absolute mayhem, so there's been some really good times over the years!
FSH: Yeah, I mean this seems pretty basic but this Sunday football has been like the biggest thing in my life consistently, its great! Every Sunday you're playing football with your best mates for years, it's probably been the best part of my life I'd say, in a weird way, but it was because you're playing football with your mates and it doesn't get any better than that, really!
SW: You can tell how successful the Ferals have been, if you look at the trophies above my head there, not been bad!
AC: We should've actually won a lot more than we did.
SW: Yeah, we should of!
AC: I think we've been too nice and probably not ruthless enough over the years, but as Fred's said it wasn't about winning trophies, it was about mates playing football together and I think we've achieved that over the years.
SW: Luckily we've got a nice blend of both really.
AC: Yeah, it's changed the last 2 or 3 years, because you boys going to university and having to find other players to come in, which we've been lucky to get younger brothers come in like Taylor for instance, Matty Glover as well and the Peasgood twins too. It's just about getting people involved.
SW: Decent lads.
AC: Yeah, if you didn't get along with them, you wouldn't ask them to come along, would you?
FSH: There's people who don't even play every week, but they're still a good part of the team because without those people you couldn't play!
AC: We have struggled for numbers in the last couple of years, mainly due to alcohol (call erupts in laughter), there's nothing worse than it - you're in the changing room at quarter past 10 and you've got no goalkeeper and no back up goalkeeper! Probably the worst feeling in the world, walking in there and you've got ten and you're ringing players that aren't up! All of a sudden ten minutes into the game, Nicholls walks up the touchline, with the wrong kit on - which he's done on two occasions! That's what it's all about!
FSH: That's all part of the fun of it though! I mean you've had to start with Billy up front against Bury Bowl, Jay at right back, Zack at centre back, Cam storms in with 10 minutes to go and scores the winner!
AC: Anyone in our squad can swan in and score a winner, can't they?! Goals come from everywhere in the side!
SW: They come from left back now don't they?
GC: I don't know, I did miss one from 3 yards out!
AC: George, you missed a classic from a yard, do you remember against Portman Rovers last year, you blazed one over from under the crossbar?
FSH: Was it you that headed it just past the post this year Crowie?
GC: Yeah that was me!
AC: You were trying to get out off the way of Dongray weren't you?!
GC: I was actually, yeah!
AC: You can see what we mean to each other, the Ferals wouldn't be playing if we didn't like each other, at the end of the day this team was set up for these three!
Part two to follow soon. All Ferals interviews so far can be found here: Meet The Ferals Interviews.
No comments:
Post a Comment