Thursday, 18 June 2020

INTERVIEW: Bailey Fairweather

Debenham LC goalkeeper Bailey Fairweather talks about his career so far.

DK: To start off, can you give us a bit of background to your career so far?

BF: I played for Grundisburgh when I was 16 before I joined a scholarship scheme at Ipswich Wanderers Academy, went on to make appearances for their first team for around 2/3 seasons. After that I joined Cranes for a season which was their title winning season and this year I joined Debenham whilst dual signing for Cops.

DK: What's been the highlight of your career so far and why?

BF: Would have to be winning the SIL with cranes. I joined knowing I wouldn’t be a regular starter but was a pleasure to be apart of a side like that filled with unbelievable players and was even better to be there to lift the trophy with them, fully deserved it that season.

DK: If you could relive any particular game from your career which one would you pick and why? 

BF: I’d relive winning the league cup final in 2014, I was playing Sunday league for Ipswich Valley Rangers when I was 13 with some mates from school, we managed to get to the final to play Mendlesham who had some of the best players in Suffolk for our age, we were the league below and we went on to beat them 2-0. Always sticks with me as it was my first ever medal and will always remember it!

DK: What inspired you to be a goalkeeper?

BF: Nothing really inspired me, I was never the running around type, I enjoyed playing football but running around a pitch didn’t appeal to me, so I would volunteer to go in goal because nobody else wanted to because they wanted to always score goals. But it was the sense of accomplishment which I enjoyed the most so to be the best in that position inspired me to push on.

DK: Starting from the beginning, how did you find your days at Grundisburgh, tell us a bit about it?

BF: I originally started off at Grundisburgh with the reserves when I was around 16 making my first appearance at wenhaston. The reserves had a cup game but the first team needed a keeper so I stepped up to play my first game at bramford for the first team. It was definitely a challenge taking a big step up but I felt like it was just what I needed to get a taste of adult football and after that I just wanted to play all the time.

DK: What was the highlight during your time at Grundisburgh?

BF: It would have to be playing for the first team, being so young it was something I’d never experienced before and something I’ll never forget because it gave me an insight into men’s football.

DK: Moving onto your time at Ipswich Wanderers, can you give us a bit of insight into your time there?

BF: I enjoyed my time at wanderers, from the academy to the first team. The academy was an experience, training daily whilst doing my diploma in sport. It was something which I enjoyed doing and to play in such a high league on a Wednesday was something which challenged me as a player but I learnt a lot from it. From the academy, I would play for the reserves which folded and then I was on the bench for the first team to which I sat and watched and learned so much from experienced players and waited for my chance which when I got it I took it. It was sad to leave wanderers as I have a lot of memories there but to help me mentally it was for the best.

DK: What was the top standout moment from your time at Wanderers? 

BF: The main time that jumps out at me was we played Kings Lynn Reserves & we were winning 2-1 I believe and the referee gave a very questionable penalty in the last few minutes of the game. We deserved to win by more and deserved 3 points so to drop points would be a kick in the teeth. But I guessed right and saved it. That moment stands out for me out of them all.

DK: What was it like being involved in Crane's title winning campaign and how did you find your time there?

BF: Being at cranes was an absolute pleasure and to be around the boys when we won the league was immense. I loved my time there, I wish I played more games than what I did but I enjoyed being there and being around everyone because it was such a well run club with amazing people there.

DK: What game stands out to you from that season at Cranes?

BF: Cranes vs Westerfield, last game of the season. I was fortunate enough to play that game and we went on to win 4-1. It stands out the most because after we were crowned champions and the scenes in the dressing room after with the boys were something that I’d never experienced before. 

DK: When it did the feeling sink in you'd won the league?

BF: I think we’d won the league prior to that game but we still had to keep the standard high because we wanted to win all the games we could but to actually celebrate it made it better, it was the first time I’d won something in men’s football so it still stays with me to this day.

DK: How do you reflect on the season just gone from both a personal and team perspective?

BF: The season just gone didn’t go as planned from a personal perspective, I didn’t play as much as I wanted to but was being kept out by another great keeper so I couldn’t complain, and in November I broke my ankle which meant I couldn’t play for quite some time which was a major setback in my season. But for Debenham it was a good season, was in and around the top half of the table and got to the quarter final of the senior cup and same for cops they got through to the semi final of the senior cup so for both teams it was proving to be a good season!

DK: How did you find it being signed for 2 clubs at once this season? 

BF: From a personal view, I felt like it benefitted from me. Debenham were my priority as I originally signed for them at the start of the season but to get game time I was glad that I dual signed with cops because they gave me minutes which I needed and I was glad that I could help out both teams when they needed. 

DK: Do you think there's much difference between playing in the Thurlow Nunn compared to the SIL, if so what is different?

BF: I’d say there is an obvious difference, in the thurlow nunn, bigger crowds, playing at enclosed grounds and a good standard of pitch. Whereas in sil the pitches can vary. But in terms of football the difference isn’t that different there are certainly teams in the SIL who could hold their own in the thurlow nunn. But for me, you can notice the difference but I don’t think it’s a big difference at all.

DK: What targets do you have looking forward to next season? 

BF: My main target is to play more games at whatever level, I just want to play and enjoy playing again because missing out for 3 months wasn’t good for me. Another target is to strengthen areas of my game which I think are lacking like my fitness and strength. I try to give myself reasonable targets so I know that they’re achievable whatever they may be.

DK: If you could pick a highlight with both Debenham and Cops from this season which one would you pick? 

BF: From Debenham it would have to be playing against Kirkley & Pakefield in the Fa Vase. Kirkley were the league about and flying and we knew it was going to be a tough game. We ended up losing from a controversial penalty decision late on in the game but from a personal perspective that is my main highlight from this season.

At cops it would be one my first games for them I believe against Trimley which was just a normal league game. I was still new to the team so I wasn’t as confident going into it as I normally would be but as soon as the game started I had  probably one of my best games and helped them get the win.

DK: Who's the best player you've played alongside so far and why?

BF: That’s a tough one actually, played with so many talented footballers but it’d be a toss up between Daniel Thrower & Ashley Nicholls. Throwers technical side is unbelievable how he just keeps that ball glued to his feet and how he reads the game so well and picks out a pass nobody else has seen before he gets a chance to shoot and 9 times out of 10 he scores a worldie & Ash being a former pro, he was just at another level. Was always motivating the team and was a big character in the dressing room. Again, his technical ability was crazy, he would get the ball and create chance after chance.

DK: Who's the best player you've played against so far and why?

BF: When I joined Debenham our first pre season game was against cranes & i was on the bench and I had to come on as a striker due to sending offs and injuries and I came up against Mark Roper. Playing with him he was class but against him it was impossible to get past him, obviously I’m not a striker but the way he read where strikers were going and his distribution and decision making were the best I’ve seen.

DK: If you could pick an XI of the best players you've played alongside so far who would you pick and why?

BF: GK- Jack Spurling, unreal shot stopper and would pull out saves which would leave you speechless. Learnt a lot from him.
RB-Nathan Speed, one of the best defensive players gets up and down and can always rely on him and scores Atleast one screamer a season.
CB- Mark Goldfinch, solid, never seen him lose a battle for a header and just an all round leader
CB- Mark Roper, Always picks out a pass even from centre back, strong and another leader on the pitch
LB-Paulo Coelhio, skilful, agile, left back who could do a job anywhere on the left hand side of the pitch, never gave up and always put in a strong tackle
CM-Ash Nicholls,great motivator, always read the game so well and had great footwork and would always push the team on.
CM-Andrew Crowe, absolute leader on and off the pitch, up and down the pitch all game and would always pop up with a goal.
CAM-Daniel Thrower, got unbelievable feet, would always play 2/3 passes ahead of everyone else and loves scoring. 
LW-Jack Severy, just an all round threat on the left, absolute wand of a left foot and would always leave the ball in the corridor which every keeper hates
ST- James Blades, every goalkeepers nightmare, quick, strong and had a deadly shot. Scores goals for fun.
RW-Teon Leggett, skilful and Pacey with quick feet and just caused defenders problems all game.

DK: If you could pick a 5 aside team from the best player you've played against so far who would you pick and why?

BF: GK- Jack Foster, Amazing distribution with both his feet and hands, loud and a great shot stopper
CB- Mark Roper, played with and against him and his just everything you want from a defender.
CB- Mark Van Oene , strong powerful defender who never backs away from a challenge
CM- Callum Page, Young, talented player with a deadly shot, full of potential
ST-Matt Poxon, Dangerous player, never gives up and loves scoring.

DK: If you could swap places with any professional player, who would you pick and why?

BF: Nick Pope, inspiration for any goalkeeper to never give up and now potentially England’s and Burnley’s number 1. Technically a good goalkeeper and is a great shot stopper. Will always have that story of playing for Bury Town to being a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment