DK: To start off, can you give us some background to your career so far (clubs played for & notable achievements)?
CW: I have played for Cambridge city reserves when I was 16, Saffron Walden Town, Haverhill Borough, Haverhill Rovers, Histon and Soham Town Rangers. Notable achievements in terms of silverware was winning the Thurlow Nunn first division knockout cup with Haverhill borough. Having 100+ caps for Haverhill borough and scoring in the FA Cup.
DK: How did you find your time at Saffron Walden, what was that like?
CW: I was very young between the ages of 17-19 and was my first experience at step 6 I learnt a lot and enjoyed my time there. It’s a fantastic club with some great people in the background and no surprise to see them doing well. I played next to Stuart Wardley in some games which was great for me to play next to someone of his quality and experience.
DK: What was the highlight during your time at Saffron?
CW: Making my debut in my first season there.
DK: How did you find your time at Haverhill Borough, and winning the cup?
CW: Loved it at borough on both my periods there met some great people who I stay in contact with #thegalacticos. The people behind the scenes again are all great people and winning the cup will be something I will never forget.
DK: What was the standout moment during the cup wining season?
CW: The cup final itself we won 5-0 against stowmarket and it was an outstanding team performance.
DK: What is the feeling like to score in the FA Cup?
CW: No better feeling really ! Don’t score often so when I do in such a big competition it’s always special!
DK: How did you find your time at Haverhill Rovers and does the club differ much to Borough?
CW: I enjoyed spells of it but towards the end found myself not getting regular game time and yes the two clubs are run very differently.
DK: Talk us through your time at Histon and how you found playing for them?
CW: Was a tough end as we unfortunately were relegated that year however really enjoyed my time at Histon and gained some valuable experience at step 4 and the group of lads were brilliant and all staff involved at the club again were brilliant.
DK: Can you tell us a bit about your time at Soham and how you felt that went?
CW: Loved every minute of playing at soham again a fantastic club with great people throughout. Fee like I have developed a lot over the course of last season and made real improvements in my game and learnt a lot from others around me.
DK: If you could pick 3 highlights from your career so far what would you pick and why?
CW: 1) Haverhill borough cup final win. Being my first bit and only bit so far of silverware in men’s football
2) last years FA trophy run and close to making history with Soham. Because it is with a brilliant group of lads and we had some tough fixtures and great wins on the run.
3)winning managers player of the year last season. Because it was a big step back up the football ladder from step 6 to 4 and after a difficult start was delighted to turn it around.
DK: What's the best ground you've played at so far and why?
CW: Tough one probably Hayes and Yeading nicks it although the ground itself was under renovations facilities were unreal and the pitch was a carpet!
DK: Who's the best player you've played alongside so far and why?
CW: Very tough one as played next to some really good players with all different kinds of qualities but if I had to pick a few it would be Sam Mulready, Ryan Auger, Max York. Sam is the complete striker. Scores goals and his hold up play is up there with the best I have seen. Ryan has the best right foot I have seen in my time of playing his passing and technical ability is ridiculous and max is a quality defender. Powerful and strong and a great leader.
DK: Who's the best player you've played against and why?
CW: Pre season for Histon we played against a Peterborough United XI and Jermaine Anderson ran the show in midfield he is the best.
DK: What was it like being involved in that memorable FA Trophy run with Soham & give us an insight into it?
CW: Was brilliant a lot of the games we were underdogs in particular in the st ives fixture and to beat them in the replay at home on a Tuesday night was a special moment in the season. We were in the game also at Hayes and Yeading but a few soft goals killed the tie for us. Great to be a part of and experience to take on with me
DK: How do you reflect on the season just gone from both a personal and team perspective?
CW: Personally I am pleased with how it went and feel like I have developed a lot as a player, from a team perspective we had a few difficult periods but overall I feel we have done well and have a lot of positives to take onto next season.
DK: Excluding that memorable Trophy run what was the highlight of the season?
CW: Beating St Ives 3-0 and also beating bury 3-0 at home in the trophy. Also scoring the winner and getting man of the match against Sudbury at home.
DK: If you could pick a team made of the best 11 players you've played alongside who would you pick and why?
CW: GK: Joshua Pope: tough one as had many good goalkeepers but some of the saves I have seen Popey pull off are unbelievable and has kept us in a lot of games.
RB: Spike Bell: brilliant servant to Saffron Walden and has all the attributes you need in a fullback both defensively and going forward.
CB: Max York: strong and powerful and a great leader. Big goal threat aswell and has a very long throw which is a massive weapon aswell.
CB: Stuart Wardley: experienced and an overall brilliant defender who has a great range of passing to match also. Brilliant to learn from as a young defender.
LB: Miles Davis: technically one of the best players I have played with. Good going forward and can deliver a cross with good quality. The modern day fullback.
LM: Jordan Nicholson, deservedly went on to play professional football but played with Jordan at Cambridge city reserves. He could beat players with ease and was a prolific goal scorer to match. Could win games on his own.
CM: Ryan Auger: mentioned previously but has the best technical and passing ability I have personally seen in non league. Can pick out passes others wouldn’t see and more often than not executes them.
CM: Jon Kaye: played with Jon at Cambridge city reserves and soham. Has a fantastic attitude and work rate and gets stuck in and does a lot of the teams dirty work. Great fitness levels and a player every team needs.
RM: Nick Freeman: played with at county level and another who deservedly went onto and is still playing professional football. Technical ability was outstanding and could beat players with ease and delivery was always spot on scores a lot of goals also.
ST: Sam Mulready, mentioned earlier can hold the ball up aswell as anyone I have seen and scores a lot of goals. All round striker and one of the best players I have played with.
ST/CAM: Jake Chambers Shaw: unbelievable feet pulled off the best skill I have ever seen in the flesh and still don’t know how he managed it to this date. Everything you need in an attacking player.
DK: What targets do you have looking forward?
CW: To continue to push on next season and have a successful season with soham and push for a top 10 finish minimum edging towards a play off place.
No comments:
Post a Comment