Saturday, 6 June 2020

INTERVIEW: Phil Marsh 2

Following on from my piece with Phil Marsh about his coaching career, I asked Phil a bit about his playing days. 

What was it like coming through the youth set up at Manchester United, talk us through your time at the club and what was it like?

Who was the best player you played with during your time at the club?

Did you have any conversations etc with Sir Alex Ferguson and if so tell us a bit about what he was like?

What was it like to make your United debut against Crewe and to get the chance to play for the first team?

Fast forward a bit, you enjoyed a good season with FC United of Manchester - how did you find your time with the club? 

What was the highlight of your time with FC United? 

How did you find your two years at Stalybridge Celtic and what was the club like? 

What was the highlight during your time at Stalybridge? 

Tell us a bit about your time at Guiseley, how you found your time there and the standout moment? 

Do you think there's much difference between the different divisions throughout the English football pyramid, from the pro level down to non league and grassroots - if so what are they?

If you could name a team of the best players you played alongside who would you pick and why?

Coming through at Manchester United from the age of 11 was amazing, i had just signed a new contract at Wigan athletic but I got offered a 2 week trial by a scout and couldn’t turn it down, it was a big decision but thankfully after 2/3 sessions I was offered a 2 year contract which was fantastic and I was obviously made up with this opportunity. Training at the cliff and Littleton road was fantastic and I have lots of fond memories of training sessions and games at both venues. It was amazing we had all the training gear, free boots and got to travel to loads of different countries playing in tournaments which was fantastic to be involved in at such a young age. A big moment for me was Once I reached 16 and was given a full time contract, only 3 players from that group got given deals and I had to then move up into the older age group as we didn’t have enough players in my age group u17s. This was a big moment for me and made me a lot stronger as a character and also physically brought me on playing with bigger lads which helped me a lot at that time. 

The best player in my time at United in terms of the youth set up was probably Giuseppe Rossi or Gerrard Pique, both players was naturally gifted and have gone on to have great careers in the game. 1st team wise it was Paul scholes he was just a genius, I remember training with the 1st team and thinking wow he just makes everything look so easy, I thought I’m going to try and tackle him but couldn’t get near him, Ronaldo also needs a mention as his feet and skill was the best I’ve ever seen in person and has proven how good he is season after season with world class teams every years since he left United. 

I had lots of conversations with the boss (sir Alex) he was a fantastic guy, very intimidating but in a good way, I remember the conversation when I got told I was making my debut he told me “ listen your here on merit, just go out there play your usual game and enjoy yourself son!” I felt a massive pressure but after this he made me feel less nervous and he was always a great man to man manager he knew how to get the best out of all his players as he proved with the unrivalled success he had at the club. 

Making my debut was a really amazing moment, the hard work I put in after my really bad injury that nearly took my life was such a rewarding moment for me and my family! To walking into the dressing room seeing your shirt with your name and number on to walking out and hearing the crowd roar knowing your playing for the biggest club in the world was special, also playing upfront with solskjaer and Alan Smith was a fantastic experience for me, to win the game was great and I loved every minute of it. 

Playing at FC United was great, I was the first player ever to play for both Manchester United and Fc United which I got told after my 1st game for the club, the club had such a great following and I really enjoyed playing at Gigg Lane in front of so many fans on a regular basis. We had a really good side and was a great time in my career that got me back enjoying my football. The highlight was are trip to Sweden that we had pre season playing some local sides and having the chance for some team bonding, although paying £10 a pint was not as memorable. 

My 2 seasons at stalybridge was brilliant, I felt at that time that I was back to my best, training full time and having a good manager who played to my strengths really got me playing some of my best football of my career, we had a very young side and all had the same drive and passion to want to win. I had my best return in terms of goals there scoring 51 goals in 99 appearance and my highlight was winning 3 player of the month awards in a 4 month period that put us to 2nd in the league at that time. This In turn then got me a good move to Forrest green rovers at the end of that season.

My time at guiseley didn’t quite work out as I wanted it too, it started well as I came into the side towards the end of the season and I played a few games and got a few goals. we clinched a play off spot but unfortunately went out in the 1st game, but I was optimistic about the next season but unfortunately the manager Steve Kittrick was sacked in the summer and one of the players took over and I wasn’t really in his plans which can happen in football, however I managed to go out on loan after a few months of the season and had a great time there helping the club go from a relegation spot to just outside the playoffs scoring goals and enjoying my football again. 

There are some really good players in non league and I think from league 2 to the conference north that there is not a lot of a difference all the teams play direct have big strong lads and all tend to work hard and make things hard for the opposition. Once you go higher the technical side of the game is massive and you see a lot more teams that pass the ball patiently and wait for gaps and pick their moments to attack, once you get to the very top it’s all of that plus the fitness and speed is all top class, this is why when you see the top sides playing a lesser opposition the tactics are to keep the ball and tire out the other teams because they know the quality will show eventually. 

Looking back at the best teams I played with I would have to say the youth cup team I played in at Manchester United, although we didn’t win it that season the team we had on paper was fantastic, some of the names included Tom Heaton, Johnny Evans, Gerrard pique, Darren Gibson, Giuseppe Rossi, it had everything and I was lucky enough to play in that side with all these great players. To see what they have gone on to a achieve if fantastic and I wish them all well as they was good lads as well as great footballers.

DK: How did the opportunity to coach at United come about and tell us a bit about coaching at the club?

PM: It was when I was doing my UEFA B coaching that the opportunity came, I did my final assessment days at carrington and was fortunate to bump into a few former colleagues and coaches, I spoke with Tony Whelan who was head of the academy at the time and it was he who arranged for me to come in and help out once I had passed my course. I was lucky enough to do some sessions with the u14s and be part of a few tournaments at carrington that was great experience for me. I spoke with several of the players about my time at the club and passed on some advice that l thought might help them.

DK: If you could pick a 5-aside team from the best players you've played with who would you pick and why?

PM: Ferdinand, Pique, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney.

DK: What advice would you give to somebody aspiring to be a manager/coach?
PM: I’m relatively inexperienced as a coach/manager but looking at the people I’ve worked with and the way I want to be as a coach is you need to want to invest time into getting to know the players and what they are like, how you can get the best out of them and gain that respect that you need for them to want to give there all for you every time they play. Be approachable and offer advice, be tough when you need to be and be a good example in the way you conduct yourself on and off the field. I like to involve myself in all the training sessions and give examples and demonstrate what I’m looking for so it’s clear and they can see visually what I’m trying to get across. I think you only get better by losing and making mistakes because that’s the best way to learn and look at how you can improve which is the message I gave last season to the lads at Pilkingtons.

What was it like playing & training alongside players like Ferdinand, Pique, Scholes, Ronaldo etc?

What were the training sessions like at United and how did you find them?

What club, either Academy or senior level, did you enjoy playing against the most?

Playing with them players was amazing it brings you on so much as you have to raise your game and always be thinking because if you don’t you get exposed and made to look silly, there was no hiding places, I really enjoyed it I feel playing with better players can only improve you even if it’s a slightly long process, to see how they move and do things was fantastic and something that helped me massively in my own development as a player. 

The training sessions was always really good, always a high tempo and working on your techniques. We use to do a lot of the same type of sessions as repetition was massive at the club and on making players learn the Manchester United philosophy, I personally loved some of the sessions we did with Rene Mulenstein who gave us lots of little drills helping us sharpen up are footwork and skills which I really benefited from.  

I use to love the games against Liverpool when I was at United from the academy games and into the reserves it had everything, the rivalry was always high in them games and I always did particularly well in those fixtures which was nice, I have some great memories from them games and really enjoyed being involved in such a special era when United was the team to beat.

DK: What was it like to win the Reserve league - talk us through that achievement, what it was like and being top scorer?

PM: The reserve team was great we had such a good squad and we was so consistent we got into a habit of winning games no matter how, I found it great not only to be winning but also playing with and against lots of 1st team players who was either getting fitness or coming back from injuries, playing at 1st team stadiums and Infront of decent crowds was great. I had a good year and managed to score a lot of goals in my final year at United which gave me a lot of confidence and to win back to back titles was a really thrilling achievement for us all.

DK: What was the best goal you scored during your United days?

PM: I scored a great goal vs Man City to win the game 1-0 and joe hart was in net, I scored with my weeker left foot from the edge of the box which was a great moment for me personally! I also scored a perfect hatrick against Leicester which I remember really well, left foot right foot and a header.

DK: If you could pick a 5 aside team of the best players you played against who would you pick and why?

PM: Joe hart, Micah Richards, James Milner, Craig Bellamy, Aaron Lennon I played against all these at different times in my career but always remember how good they was from each game, Joe hart- he was always playing in the reserves when I was there and he pulled off some fantastic saves and was always a tough keeper to score against. Micah Richards was in the youth team and I use to love playing against him, he always marked me and was really quick and strong which was a challenge that I looked forward to. James Milner was just mr consistent never did anything outstanding but always worked hard and never seemed to give the ball away. Craig Bellamy was coming towards the end of his career and we played a Man City 11 in pre season when I was at stalybridge I remember he scored a great goal he left are defender for dead and slotted it made it look so easy, he was also really good talking to the younger players which I really liked. Aaron Lennon was the quickest player I’d ever seen at that age, u17 he was at Leeds and he knocked the ball down the line and just ran it was frightening.

DK: If you could relive any game from your whole career which one would you pick and why?

PM: Making my United debut, just the whole build up to it and the full day was something I’ll never forget, seeing your name on the back of your shirt getting a team talk from sir Alex Ferguson doesn’t happen every day, i had goosebumps in the tunnel as i could hear all the United fans singing, I played on the right side too and had all the United fans right there so I could hear it all it was amazing. To play upfront with a United legend in ole and win the game was something I’ll never forget.

DK: What was it like playing alongside Ole, and what is the current United gaffer like as a person? 

PM: It’s was great, as a young player he was perfect for me to play with, always offering advice and encouragement and obviously was a great player, a real finisher and someone that I looked up to at my time at the club, it’s great to see him now getting a chance as manager as he knows the club inside out and all about the history which is very important, he’s a great guy and I think given time he will do a fantastic job.

DK: What's was the coaching style like at United and did it differ much between your playing days and time there as a coach?

PM: No it’s always been the same in academy, players are taught to keep the ball be patient and switch the play don’t try to force things and always be available for your team mates, the sessions and drills was all very similar and was a lot of repetition that enabled all the player to get very good at what we was doing, certain players obviously have different strengths and weaknesses which are also utilised and worked on but on the whole you was given the freedom to express yourself and show why you was at the club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment