DK: To start things off, could you give us some insight and background to your career so far (clubs played for & notable achievements)?
BM: I started with Walsham as kid, moving onto county & college teams before moving to university in High Wycombe and captaining the university side. I was a centre mid!
When I left university I went back to play for my village team Stanton before knee injuries meant I couldn’t play outfield anymore.
DK: What's it been like being a goalkeeper?
BM: It can be tough at times, you feel a bit isolated from the rest of the team and have a huge amount of pressure on your shoulders. Any mistake is likely to result in a goal.
DK: What would you say is the highlight of your career?
BM: Personally, making my debut for bury. Whilst I was injured I spent a lot of time watching them at the ram and I never thought I’d be in a position to play at that level. Team wise it has to be reaching the final of the national cup with gym United.
DK: What was it like making that National Sunday Cup final?
BM: I was a bit gutted as I didn’t make the team but it was an amazing weekend away and experience with some very good friends.
DK: Talk to us a bit about how you found playing for Bury this season?
BM: It’s a pleasure and an honour every time I step on the pitch. The set up at Bury is the most professional I’ve seen in non league football. There’s a manager and a chairman who really wants to take the club forward and a group of players who are there because they want to be a part of that and not for financial gain.
DK: What's the best ground you've played at and why?
BM: Competitively it has to be the Ram. The place is absolutely rocking when the team are performing and the fans are in full voice. I played for Soccer AM in a charity match at West Brom a few years ago, the facilities there were impeccable.
DK: What was it like being the keeper for Soccer AM?
BM: At first you’re a bit like wow I get to play football with these celebrities all the time. Then quickly you realise they are just normal people who just become your friends. Although I haven’t done anything with them for a little while (Lloyd Griffith ended up doing most of the goalie stuff) we are all in a what’s app group and stay in touch.
DK: Who's the best player you've played alongside and why?
BM: Competitively it’s close between Andrew Wood and Ollie Fenn, both are very different players but Woody can just get you a goal from nowhere when you are up against it and Fenny will never let you down, is a perfect leader and a class act on and off the pitch.
DK: Who's the best player you've played against and why?
BM: Probably Stephan Ngomvolou of Maldon & Tiptree, he’s a class act in their midfield.
DK: Who would make up the team of the all time best players you've played alongside and why?
BM: Goalkeeper - Luis Tibbles. Technically brilliant, could probably play out on pitch at a decent level.
RB - Tommy Smith. Undoubtedly has a very bright future ahead of him
LB - Daniel Hazleton. Sadly no longer with us but he was everything you would want in a footballer, gifted, brave and a great leader
CB - Nathan Clarke. If the boy didn’t hate football so much he would have gone a long way in the game. Aerially brilliant, can play with both feet and pops up with important goals from set pieces
CB - Ollie Fenn. If I ever got into management I would pick a team of leaders, people who hurt from losing a game of football. Proper men who would fight to win a game of football. Fenny would defo be on the team sheet.
LM - Ryan Jolland. Probably won’t thank me for putting him on the left of midfield but that sweet left foot of his could cause serious problems putting balls into the box. Great black market plumber too.
RW - Jack Lankester. During his brief spell on loan with Bury a couple years ago you could see that as long as he kept his head in the right place he would make it to the pro game and he has.
CM - Tubes. Doesn’t get around the pitch as well these days as he used to and has suffered a heart attack in recent years but he genuinely is exceptionally talented with a football and makes things look effortless. Top bloke too.
CM - Carlos Edwards. Don’t need to say much, he reads the game perfectly and rarely makes the wrong decision.
CM - Miles Turner. Most wont have heard of Miles but I had the fortune of playing with him during my teenage years in the successful squads of Bardwell wasps and Stanton during the mid 2000’s. would two foot his own mother if it meant winning the ball back. Gifted and could have played at a much much higher level.
Striker - Andrew Wood. Creates his own goals. One minute you think your attack has broken down the next you turn around and Woody has beaten 4 players and smashed it in the top corner with his weaker foot. Another one who could definitely have played at a higher level if he actually enjoyed playing!
No comments:
Post a Comment