Thursday, 11 June 2020

INTERVIEW: Alan Arber

Former Bury Town, Lowestoft Town, Norwich City, Wroxham and England non-league goalkeeper Alan Arber talks to us a bit about his career and how he feels the game has changed since his playing days.

DK: What inspired you to be a goalkeeper? 
 
AA: We used to kick about in the park at Hitchin and I always ended up in goal as I was the smallest lad but quite brave also when we went on holiday to a holiday camp I always ended up watching the adults play and they were short of a keeper I would go in goal. My dad hated that as he wanted me just to watch and not take part, but I could not resist. I forgot the number of times when they announced the player of the week it was invariably this little goalkeeper who looked as though he should be playing with the kids not adults. Finally, we used to watch the adults play in the park on a Sunday morning before they went to the pub and again I always ended up in goal,  
 
DK: To start off, can you tell us a bit about your football career (clubs played for and major achievements)?
 
AA: I played for a few local clubs in the Hitchin area but for personal reasons had to move to Norwich when I was 19 although I was due to sign for my hometown club then Hitchin Town before the move. I first played for Coltishall but was soon snapped up by Hoveton where we won the Anglian Combination in my second season. On then to Wroxham under Paul Chick and Donny Pye where I really enjoyed my football winning both The Ang Comb league and cup on at least three occasions. My next move was to Lowestoft again under Paul and Donny and this really saw me grow as a keeper before Bury town came calling and I signed for Martyn Spore. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the club heralded by the famous Cup run when we lost to Enfield in a replay. One of my biggest disappointments was being released by Martyn and I went to Thetford Town before finishing in Norfolk with Norwich united before moving back home to care for my extremely ill father. Back home I joined a local club called Shefford Town before after trials at Harlow and Hitchin I signed for Baldock Town playing in the same side as Kevin Phillips. Finally, I finished my playing days in Hitchin with Letchworth FC before moving back to Norfolk to finish my career with Attleborough Town.
 
Major honours are as follows, England non-league appearances x 3. Noncontract pro with Norwich City till I got injured. Many local trophies including Ang Comb 7 times (with various clubs) and the cup 3 times. Being named Man of the match in the Enfield run cup run along with player of the season in Suffolk that season also. Playing in the Sunday FA Cup final for Macintosh was a major highlight along with many players of the season awards and county caps for both Norfolk and Suffolk and finally 2 FA Appearances  
 
DK: Tell us a bit about your time at Wroxham and how you found it? 
 
AA: Wroxham manager Paul Chick and assistant manager Donny Pye were looking for a goalkeeper and apparently had watched me several times and thought I was the correct fit for them. I had amazing times there winning several trophies and forging friendships that are still with me today. I worked with Donny Pye at every training session and that really helped my game. Also being at wroxham at that time with there wonderful committee mean that when I go back to watch I am welcomed very warmly which I find quite humbling. 
 
DK: How did you find your time at Lowestoft, tell us a bit about that? 
 
AA: Paul and Donny again along with many friends from clubs I played with and against meant we had a wonderful side that really did not accomplish what we should have. I made over 127 appearances for Lowestoft keeping 44 clean sheets which I am proud of for sure. I still go back to watch a few games and again am very humbled by the reception I get from club officials and supporters that remember me. 
 
DK: Talk us through your time at Bury Town, how did you find it? 
 
AA: Believe it or not this came about during a game v Bury as we were leading 5-0 at the time and went on to win 7-0. Martyn came behind the goal and said fancy signing for me at Bury which really intrigued me and we met in Thetford and the deal was done. I moved over with Nick Twaits, Dougie Evans Trevor Sadd and Richard hatch came later in that season. I loved my time at Bury, playing with great players especially the likes of Phil Boyland, Tommy Parkin, Marty Thorpe, Les Tibbot, Richard Lant, Simon Milton, Dale Brooks, Dean Barker, Craig Oldfield, Paul Smith, Paul keys and of course Donny Davis. (sorry for those I forgot)
 
DK: What was Bury like at the time, did the club differ much to present, if so how? 
 
AA: It was a club on the up and to be part of it was simply great to be part of it. The journeys from Norwich were normally all done in one car and I must admit training was tough after finishing work to get there in time, but we made it and enjoyed it immensely. Martyn and Smithy were great to play for and although a little harsh at times it was just a great club to be at. When we went into the Southern League for that first season that was an experience with some long journeys and late nights. The bus trips were fun though and again forged friendships for life. My only regret was how it ended for me and that did upset me a lot as I loved the club that much. 
 
DK: What was it like playing for England's non-league team, can you give us a bit of insight into it? 
 
AA: I made three appearances. One V Scotland where we lost on Penalties at Bedford town. One against the army at the national stadium at Aldershot and finally one at Dudley Town V the Royal Marines we did win the last two both with clean sheets for me. One funny story though is that on the game v Scotland I had played for Macintosh in the F A Sunday Cup on the Sunday and beat a team called 2-7-9 and there had been some issues between the sides and the captain for 2-7-9 was my captain for England but he was fine about it and I think that’s how I got selected to play as I had played so well v them winning 1-0.  
 
DK: How did you find your time at Norwich and what was the club like during your time there? 
 
AA: Norwich got wind I was being watched by Ipswich and other clubs during the Macintosh F A Sunday Cup run and sent a scout to my home to talk to me and let me know they were watching me. I expected nothing would come of it until I got called into my boss’s office at work to be told I was playing for Norwich Res that night v Spurs Res. Luckily I did not have time to get nervous till I arrived at the ground to look at the team sheet. Glenn Hoddle, Mark Falco, Terry Gibson, Ian Crook. Mark Bowen. Plus, goalkeeper Tony Parkes were all playing. I did okay though even though we lost 2-0 but was selected for the Saturday game v Watford Res who had Nigel Callaghan. Kenny Jacket, A young John Barnes amongst others playing again we lost 3-2 but again I played well. My next appearance was at Swindon res when we won 2-0. My final appearance was against West Ham at Upton park and they had a young Tony Cottee up front and we had the legend Jimmy Neighbour making his debut. Yes, we again lost 3-2 with Cottee getting a hattrick. My career ended after I injured my knee in training and despite trying to play in a trial for Port vale I was told my knee was not great so thus ended me trying to be a Pro footballer.
 
DK: What were the top 3 standout games from your football career and why?
 
AA: Macintosh V Fantail F A Sunday Cup Final at Tranmere. We lost 1-0 to a team managed by Phil Thomson but never disgraced ourselves.
 
Bury V Enfield F A Cup 4th qualifying round replay. I was just on fire in both games but in the replay for some reason I was just feeling unbeatable till they scored in extra time and I picked up an injury from a dreadful challenge.
 
Norwich Res v Spurs Res. My debut and I was told I acquitted myself well considering I came from and Ang Comb side to play at that level. What an experience that whole journey was till my injury
 
 
DK: Who was your favourite opposition to face? 
 
AA: Sudbury as they were always battling, and I played with most of the Sudbury side for Suffolk. Great banter always
 
DK: Can you give us an insight into that cup run in which you faced Enfield? 
 
AA: That is a tough one as we beat many good sides in the cup run including Harlow in the round before. As for the game we travelled down by coach and had lunch at this great hotel which Chelsea also used on the day. Arriving at the ground it looked massive, but I started to relax once we got into our routine and after some great words from Martyn I knew in my mind it would take a lot to beat me. (I was in good form). If I remember we should have won the game and were disappointed to take the game back to Ram Meadow. Driving to the ground it was incredible as it seemed the whole town were out, and the queues were massive to get in. Enfield had a couple of players back and were again out to put us in our place, but we played ok. Yes, we were under the cosh, but we defended great and I was lucky to make a few good saves. In extra time their striker followed through on me and I was struggling from then on and they scored to win the game 1-0. We were all gutted but got a great reception from the huge crowd.
 
 
DK: What was it like being a goalkeeper and being known as the best goalkeeper in the region?
 
AA: That is a lovely thing to say but there were some great keepers about like Dean Garnham, Alan Peatfield, Steve Foyster, Duncan Steward and of course Trevor Saunders was coming through the ranks at Norwich. I always get very humbled when people say I was the best they saw and still to this day struggle with that accolade. Being a goalkeeper then was tough as you were not given the protection they always get now but it toughened me up and made me want to be the best. I loved playing in goal in that era as the camaraderie was great and all the games were enjoyable.
 
DK: Do you think the game has changed much since you are playing days, if so how? 
 
AA: Its definitely become more professional and players get paid more I am told. Some of the figures I hear are frightening and wonder how clubs afford it. I think the players do not socialise after the game as we did and that forged the friendships I have now from my time at all clubs. I think the level was better in our day but then we all do.
 
DK: Tell us a bit about the Offside Trust and the work that you do for it?
 
AA: Where do I start. Something not many people knew was that I suffered dreadful sexual abuse from the age of 7-12 by a coach and his friends and held this dreadful secret for many years. I said earlier that I moved to Norfolk when I was 19 and this was to escape the issues I had myself and too get some also try to push the memories away. Unfortunately, it did not work and some 6 years ago it came to a head when I was contacted by The Police investigating the coach and his group regarding the allegations of abuse he had put people through. This almost destroyed me and over the next 3 years I became a dreadful person, drinking too much and never really being the happy go lucky person I was over the years. I saw the interview on Victoria Derbyshire Show by the lads and my friend said get in contact with them, so I did. I managed to try and pull my life around a little but 2 years ago I almost committed suicide such were the horrendous nightmares I suffered. Thankfully, people got me help and along with the constant contact with The Offside Trust and meeting everyone on various events I got better slowly. January 2019 I was made an ambassador which was a highlight so far in my journey and we set about taking our awareness days around the local non-league scene in Norfolk and Suffolk. Its been pleasing that so many clubs, leagues and County Associations have welcomed us in and really been receptive to our work. There is a long way to go but If I can stop one person suffering like I did its worth the hard work and stress of the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment