Monday, 8 June 2020

INTERVIEW: Nathan Willis

Thetford Town's Nathan Willis discusses his career so far, being at the club and targets going forward. 

DK: To start off, can you give a bit of background to your career so far? 

NW: I didn’t get into football like the average kid playing since they were little. I didn’t like anything about football until I was roughly 10-11 years old that was the first time I kicked a ball. I got into football for one reason only and that was that my mum made me join a team. Never thinking I’d like it but she made me join a team as I had just moved to the area and she wanted me to make friends. So she sent me to the local Sunday league team Thetford Bulldogs. Not knowing the rules of football what positions were I was just there making friends and having fun. At first I was a Left Mid I remember scoring 7 goals in my first season (I haven’t scored any since then ..... that’s was 9 seasons ago). I’ve played every position under the sun. But one of the managers at the team put me at Centre Half three seasons in and I loved it. Loved the feel of tackling someone. And that’s where I played all of my youth football at Therford Bulldogs. 

DK: How have you found your time at Thetford, talk us through it so far?

NW: My time at Thetford Town has been good so far. I first got involved with Town when I joined the Academy programme which was an alternative to college. I was doing that for two years playing in a league of mixed academies in colleges. But for the 3-4 years I’ve been signed onto Thetford Town they’ve been a blast. 

DK: What's it been like playing for the club so far? 

NW: So far playing for the club has been different. Since the academy finished Thetford have introduced a reserves team. The first season was okay I guess we won roughly 5 games and  lost quite a lot more. I somehow won the players player for the first ressies season which is something I can hold onto I guess .I had played one or two pre-season games for the first team that season playing 30 mins against mulbarton. I remember my first touch I got battered and sat on my arse by the mulbarton striker and couldn’t make a pass for the 30 mins I was on. It was dreadful. 

I got brought to Thetford in the academy by Danny White who was the first team manager are the time. He was an amazing manager always free to give tips and help anyone improve. I remember I asked onetime for him to help me improve my defensive headers and the next training session he spent roughly 40 mins with me just throwing balls up and letting me head them as far as I can and helping improve my positioning for heading. Danny was the one who gave me my first taste of adult football and all of my experiences in adult football are down to Danny actually so I’m really thankful for that. Especially when he called me into the squad for our extra preliminary round of the FA Cup so it’s nothing special but to me it was a nice experience and it’s still the FA Cup ;). Sadly I didn’t take any of my first team football chances under Danny I wish I had have done. But thankyou for everything Danny if for some reasons you’re reading this blog.

The second season at ressies was a lot different me being only one of two players who stayed from the previous season we had a whole new squad of players who had never played together before. It was difficult for us not having a GK for the first half of the season and just enough players for a squad each week. But we carried on and still turned up every week even if we were getting battered we didn’t give in which is something I’m proud of everyone on the team for. We had one draw and every other game was a loss. I think our goal difference was -100 something But this season is now void due coronavirus and we don’t get a chance to keep going to try and get some more points and prove other wrong but we’ll be back next season and prove people that we are a decent team.

DK: What's been the highlight from your career so far?

NW: I think for me winning my first players player. It’s felt good as I always thought I’d never win one. I don’t see myself  as a good player or even an okay player. I just see myself as a lump who can’t run and can just kick a ball far but some other must appreciate what I am to vote for me 🤣.  But yeah that was a nice feeling to win that. 

DK: How have you found playing in the Thurlow Nunn leagues so far, what is the standard like? 

NW: The Thurlow Nunn premier division is a very high standard I’d be lucky to ever get to a team in the league. Just sitting on the bench you can see how fast the game is compared to Sunday league etc.

The reserves league is actually a pretty good standard I’d say aswel full of a lot of young hungry players trying to push for first team football and a few older heads passing on knowledge and game management skills. It’s a great mix and would recommend to anyone trying to push for first team football anywhere. 

DK: How do you reflect on the season just gone from both a personal and team perspective?

NW: From a team perspective not great. It’s annoying as we have a great bunch of lads who are all individually great players we just need to learn how to play and work with each other. And on a personal note even worse in my opinion the season gone was my worst season ever. I’d let myself go the most unfit if ever been. Making wrong decisions all the time  it was horrific at some points I thought about packing it in. But I couldn’t 

DK: If you could pick a 5 aside team out of your teammates who would you pick and why? 

NW: GK: Campos. Great shot stopper only joined the team for the last few games and made some amazing saves. 

Def: Jody. Good tackles and a great leader

Mid: Liam. Really good player. Has a great engine doesn’t stop running all game. 

Mid: Joe Spitzer. G.O.A.T

St:Chris. Good feet and good shooting. Good holdup play.

DK: What targets do you have looking forward?

NW: For me it would be to improve my decision making. Heading accuracy. To be able to add a few assists and goals to my game. Improve my confidence too. I don’t feel like I can tell anyone what to do. I don’t talk enough or shout on the pitch as I feel I can’t say something to someone when I see something going wrong as I’m not a good player myself so I feel I can’t correct anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment